All Auditions will be held virtually by YouTube video submission!
Deadline to send in application – Jan. 22, 2021
Please email the application fee to Mrs. Peggy Fransen at 2602 39th St. Kenner, La. 70065
The application link is on the Audition Information page!
General Audition Information:
1. Auditionees (except for vocalists) are divided into three age groups:
Junior Group – composed of auditionees through 8th grade. Intermediate Group – composed of auditionees in 9th through 12th grades.
Young Artists Group – composed of auditionees in college or who have not yet reached their 26th birthday.
Vocalists are divided into two groups according to age:
Intermediate Group – composed of auditionees age 16 through age 19.
Young Artists Group – composed of auditionees age 20 through age 25.
2. Audition fees:
Audition fees are $25.00 for soloists. For ensembles of two or more (choral, instrumental or dance) the audition fee is $35.00 for the group, with the understanding that the group will also pay any incidental expenses necessary to its performance. Audition fees are not refundable.
3. Soloists who have appeared on a Junior Philharmonic program one season are not eligible to audition for the solo performance the following season.
4.. Junior Philharmonic keys will be presented only to students who have both auditioned and performed in recital. For ensembles, all members who both audition and perform will receive a key; however, if the ensemble is outstanding and the board awards a cash prize and/or plaque to the group, only a single award will be presented.
Selections listed on the application form must be the ones performed on the video. Please send the audition fee to: Mrs. Peggy Fransen 2602 39th St. Kenner, La. 70065
Please make checks payable to: Junior Philharmonic Society of New Orleans.
Here are the general time limits for each level. We understand if the student exceeds the limit by a minimal amount.
Junior Level (grades 1 – 8): 3 minutes
Intermediate Level (grades 9 – 12): 6 minutes
Young Artist Level (through age 25): 9 minutes
· The student recordings must indicate MEMORIZED pieces with NO EDITING.
· Judges will hear and review students’ performances.
· Judges will select performers to participate in concerts in April and May. Concert dates are to be determined.
· Students will be contacted via their teacher’s email as to results of audition.
STUDENT PERFORMANCE VIDEOS:
· Deadline for entry is January 22, 2021.
· The video should be positioned so that face, hands and feet are visible and in a horizontal format.
· Video must contain all repertoire listed on the application.
· Video must be current, within the last 3 months.
· No editing is allowed.
· Each selection should be on a separate video.
· Selections are to be performed by memory.
· Please have students dressed appropriately for a performance.
· Selections are to be uploaded to YouTube and labeled in the following manner:
· Composer/ Title
· Please select “unlisted “
· Select “not for children” (so they may be entered in playlist)
Pianists in all three age groups (Junior, Intermediate and Young Artists) should prepare 2 selections representing any 2 of the 4 historical periods of music — Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary. All piano solo music must be memorized.
Violinists, cellists, etc. should prepare 2 selections representing any 2 of the 4 historical periods of music— Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary. All string solo music must be memorized.
Instrumentalists should prepare 2 selections of varied enough caliber to show the proficiency of the performer on his/her instrument. Solo selections must be memorized.
PIANO DUETS/INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLES (2 or more performers)
Pianists/ensemble instrumentalists should prepare 1 selection representing any of the 4 historical periods of music.
All soloist music must be memorized.
INTERMEDIATE GROUP (16-19 YEARS OF AGE)
1. One Art Song in English from any period.
2. One Art Song in German, French or Italian.
YOUNG ARTISTS GROUP (20 – 25 YEARS OF AGE)
1. One aria from an Oratorio or Opera, performed in the original language.
2. One Art Song in German, French or Italian. * One of the selections must be in English!
Choristers should prepare a program of 3 selections, which will show the proficiency of the group. Harmony should be demonstrated in at least a portion of the selections.
Audition deadline is Jan. 22. 2021 . All applications must be received by this date.